It’s hard enough these days to shop for fashionable trendy clothing when you are plus sized, but what about when your in the category of plus size petite? This refers to ladies that are 5′ 3″ or below but still wear at least a size 14/16.
Usually what will fit in the waist will be to long or vice versa and shopping in the children’s section is not something that is an option. Frustrating trips to the store occur when it comes to fashion combined with the fact that there are few plus size stores and even fewer that carry plus size petite styles. So what can you do when shopping for plus size petite sizes? There are a few options that are available to you and for the most part they will not break your budget.
- Alterations – I list this first because many years ago you couldn’t go into any department store and purchase something that didn’t have to be altered. Some stores still offer free alterations with purchase. If not then there are plenty of seamtresses that can help you out. If this is not in your budget then learning to sew yourself is another option. Men have been getting there clothes altered for hundreds of years there is nothing that says women can’t do the same.
- Age appropriate clothes – If you are in your thirties then dressing like the teenagers is not something that you want to do especially if you work in an office setting. Make sure that you always buy clothing that is appropriate for your age. Today that doesn’t mean that you have to be frumpy with the vast selection of clothes available to plus size women.
- Bulk shopping – It’s hard enough to find petite plus size clothing as is so when you find things in your size that fit in the waist and inseam buy more than one item. Take advantage of any sales that are online so that you can get the biggest bang for your buck.
- Be Adventurous – Just because you like pastels doesn’t mean that your entire wardrobe should be made up of it. Mix up the solids and prints in your wardrobe to show off your hips curves and other good points.
- High Heels – High heeled shoes are your friend. Not only can they complete an outfit but they can give you an extra inch or two or five for those that are self conscious about there height. Note: For the most part for plus size women I dont recommend wearing a heel more than two inches in height but it is really up to your individual tastes.